Climax Molybdenum Company, a subsidiary of Freeport-McMoRan, strives to create value for our communities, our employees and our businesses, and act as a catalyst for positive development in our operating communities through the following initiatives:
- Stakeholder Engagement and Partnership
We established three regional Community Partnership Panels with representatives from Lake, Summit, Chaffee, and Eagle; Clear Creek; and Grand Counties to identify, examine and define regional community issues and priorities.
- Strategic Community Investments and Community Investment Funds
We believe in investing in programs that support important community needs and drive sustainability. We invest funds to address five focus areas that are foundations of sustainable communities and are generally aligned with local priorities: education, economic development, safety, health and wellness, the environment, and cultural heritage and preservation. We also work to involve community members in the process of identifying, cultivating and selecting meaningful social investments.
- Educational Grants Through our STEM Innovation grants program, teachers, school administrators, PTA officials and/or parent volunteers can apply to receive up to $5,000 every year to support the development, improvement or expansion of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) instructional programs at K‐12 schools or classrooms located near our operations. We also offer mini-grants up to $500 to support a range of other classroom needs.
- Matching Gifts Program This program matches any employee’s charitable financial contributions to qualified organizations such as educational institutions, social service organizations, hospitals, environmental organizations, cultural institutions, and United Way chapters.
- Scholarship Programs Scholarships are available each year to students attending specific colleges and universities as well as occupational and technical training programs to pursue technical, industry‐related degrees such as engineering, geology or electrician certification. We also provide annual scholarships to graduating seniors in 7 area high schools located near our Colorado Operations.
- Employee Involvement Climax Molybdenum employees also give of their time to support community organizations and programs through the our High Grade Helpers employee volunteer program.
We support sustainable development by investing in locally-identified priorities.
- Freeport-McMoRan continues to be a funding partner in 100Kin10, a national effort to prepare, deploy and support 100,000 excellent science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) teachers in the US over the next 10 years, pledging $1.5 million over the next three years to support STEM teacher development programs in Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico.
- Took a leadership role in supporting the nearly 15,000‐square‐foot Climax Molybdenum Leadership Center at Colorado Mountain College’s campus in Leadville, pledging a total of $1 million over five years (2009‐2013).
- List of our 2016 Community Investment Fund Grant Recipients
BACK TO TOP